What is it?
Cycle 2 Health is a programme aimed at getting people healthier through cycling. Clients will be referred on as part of their BEATs programme, which will encourage an increase in physical activity through using bicycles as a form of transport or as a leisure pursuit.
Who is Cycle 2 Health for?
Cycle 2 Health is for any client accessing the BEATs referral programme who is termed as low risk due to their health status, and where regular physical activity would improve their health.
Where can I access it?
Cycle 2 Health is accessible through the BEATs team based at Radcliffe Health Centre. Here you can be referred to the Cycle 2 Health programme.
How long does it last?
You will receive a referral from the BEATs ERO to attend the Cycle 2 Health programme, which lasts for 10 weeks.
- Week 1 Introduction: You will be introduced to the staff from the Nationwide Cycle Academy (NCA) who is (are) based at Outwood Country Park in Radcliffe
- You will receive your bicycle, which you will keep for ten weeks;
- You’ll receive a helmet, lock, and lights;
- You will be able to test (ride) your bike, have it fitted to your height and cover some basic cycle skills;
- You might want / or need additional instruction, which can be provided by NCA;
- You will be required to complete your daily activity diary supplied by the BEATs ERO;
- You will be able to join in with other new members;
- You will receive 2 (you can participate in two organised rides and advice sessions with NCA staff, arranged for week 5 and week 9);
- Bicycles are required to be returned at week 10;
- Upon successful completion of the 10-week programme, you will receive a £50 voucher to purchase high quality, refurbished bicycles from NCA.
Do I need special clothing or equipment?
No – safety equipment such as a helmet will be provided which is yours to keep.
Will it cost me anything?
No – only regular participation to increase your activity levels.
What happens following the 10 weeks?
You will have the opportunity to purchase a bicycle and continue to use it for leisure and active travel. As a result of the 10 weeks, we are hoping that a social riding group will be formed which you will be able to access and ride in a safe environment with friends.