Find And Fix Maintenance Sessions
Our ‘Find and Fix’ basic bike maintenance course gives participants the basic skills to keep their bike on the road.
The Basic Bike Maintenance Course is practical, allowing participants to practice making minor adjustments on a bicycle during the session. It’s advisable to bring your own bike, but we can provide bikes upon request. All necessary tools, work stands and parts are supplied.
The 3-hour course will cover how to:
- identify the bike parts.
- understand the function of each component.
- learn how to perform a cycle check (using the M or A B C method).
- make simple adjustments to the bike without requiring tools.
- know which tools to carry for maintenance.
- make precise adjustments to the brakes to ensure smooth and safe operation.
- adjust the gears for optimal and safe performance.
- inspect the chain for any issues.
- ensure the saddle/seat post is in the appropriate position.
- ensure the headset/handlebars are in the appropriate position.
- learn how to repair punctures, including wheel removal.
- understand the legal requirements for lights, reflectors, etc. on a cycle.
- outfit a cycle with essential components like mudguards.
- know how to perform emergency repairs.
- know when to seek assistance from a qualified mechanic.
All the tools required for the course will be provided. Since bikes can get dirty, we recommend participants wear old clothes. Courses are thoughtfully organised into small, friendly groups, accommodating six participants at a time. Our tutors, who are experienced cyclists and mechanics, will guide you throughout the course.
Your safety is our priority
A COVID Risk Assessment will be in place at all our training centres. Additionally, all facilities will adhere to COVID-secure protocols in line with the current government guidance. For safety, all shared equipment, such as tools, will undergo thorough cleaning at the beginning and end of each training session. Furthermore. NCA Academy will provide hand sanitiser at all its events.